Friday, April 3, 2015

Diy protein powder

Hey guys! So sorry I haven't posted for a while! I haven't forgot about you!
Tonight I am gonna show you how to make a protein powder that don't have any weird ingredients and isn't super pricey. It is very good for you also, with a bunch of nutrients and good fiber and stuff. And, yes, I was inspired by that fb post, incase you were wondering:).
Ok, so we start with a 1/3 cup of lentils. I used red, but you can use any kind you have on hand. Chuck them in a coffee grinder or blender or food processer.
Next, add 1/4 cup (or a bit more) of flax seeds. I used golden.
Now add 2/3 of a cup of shredded desiccated coconut. It is very important that you use VERY dry, unsweetened coconut for this step. This is a filling, healthy part of the powder. If you want, you can sub pure whey powder, but then it won't be vegan. ( incase you were wondering, I'm not vegan, I just didn't have it on hand, and rather coconut)
Now add a 1/4 cup of walnuts, almonds or other "dry" nut.
I am adding a dash of black sesame seeds, but this is completely optional.
Add 1/3 cup of steel cut or rolled oats.
You Can add a bit of brown rice, but I didn't have it on hand, so I just rolled with what I had.
Add desired flavors, I chose 4 whole coffee beans, a 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder, and a bit of stevia.
Blend it all together, and enjoy! Store it in a airtight container and use like regular protein powder, 1/4 cup per serving.

Much love, crane song and the mini jbs

**UPDATE**

This morning I use my protein powder to make a shake. It is deliciousness!!!

However, this stuff is a bit grainy. If you wanted to get a much thinner powder, omit the nuts and use more rice/oats instead, and blend for longer. I found that the nuts wanted to turn into nut butter:)

So, this stuff is better for smoothies and shakes that are run through the blender. For added convenience, use a stick blender!

No comments:

Post a Comment